14 Aug Granadilla cake recipe
As you can see my mama has this huge granadilla creeper all along the side of the garage and every year it produces so many fruits she gives a lot away.
Yesterday she and Fysh decided to make use of some of them and made an old South African koek resep saved from my great grams days. It’s originally written in Afrikaans so I’ll translate it for you. Because a slice was saved for me and it is seriously worth sharing. Nom
You’ll need for the cake itself
- 4 extra large eggs, separated
- 250ml castor sugar
- 125ml oil
- 125ml warm water
- 220g granadilla pulp
- 2.5ml vanilla essence
- 560ml cake flour
- 15ml baking powder
- Pinch of salt
What you’ll need for the icing
- 500g icing sugar
- 125g softened butter
- Roughly 60ml warm water
- 55g granadilla pulp
- 5ml vanilla essence
How to make the cake.
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Beat egg yellow and castor sugar till light yellow.
- Mix oil, water, granadilla pulp and vanilla essence together. Add egg mix and mix well.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to previous mix.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff and fold into previous mix.
- Divide mixture between two 22cm pans (mom used one pan and says it doesn’t work that great)
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or till the test knife comes out clean.
Now for the icing
- Beat all the ingredients together.
- Half goes into the oone cake as the middle before placing the two cakes in top of each other.
- I’ve the rest to ice the top.