A while back Fysh and I were contacted and asked if we’d be willing to take part in a fun little challenge set up by GWK, one where we take a traditional South African recipe and give it our own unique twist.
If you follow me on Instagram <cupcakemummy> you’ll be seeing in our stories some of the awesome products Nature’s Farm has sent us as well as what we’ve done with some of them. From using the cookies to make cookie and cream frozen yogurt to making one pasta dish after the next with the really awesome GMO free pasta’s in their range.
As for the challenge though Fysh and I couldn’t really decide what recipe we wanted to make and how in the world we were going to give it a twist. We sat going through my kook en geniet as well as my ouma’s old handwritten recipes. He wanted peppermint crisp tart (his favourite) but I said cupcakes. SO! Without further waffling…
Here is our recipe for peppermint crisp tart cupcakes!
For the Cupcakes you’ll need:
- 500ml Natures Farm Cake Flour (it’s at pnp, you can’t miss the awesome packaging)
- 15ml Baking Powder
- 2.5ml Salt
- 310ml Sugar
- 3 Separated eggs (you just need the whites)
- 125ml Vegetable Oil
- 5ml Vanilla Essence
- 125ml Water
For the filling you’ll need:
- 1/2 Tin Caramel Treat.
- For the topping you’ll need:
- Orley Whip (Cream is fine if you can’t find it)
- 1/2 Tin Caramel Treat
- Peppermint Crisp
- Tennis Biscuits
Instructions for the cupcakes!
Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix all your ingredients together ‘cept the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl till stiff then fold into the previous mixture.
- Separate into cupcake liners, they do rise so you don’t have to fill them to the brim.
- Pop in oven for 30 to 40 minutes (till your poker comes out clean or they’re lightly golden brown.)
For the filling:
You can use a filling tool but I don’t have one so I just cut out a small piece of the cupcake and then fill that space with caramel treat.
For the topping:
- Whip the Orley whip or cream until it forms soft peaks. And the caramel and whip till firm.
- Fold in about half the grated peppermint crisp bar. (Optional, I personally don’t like them VERY peppermint so I did some like this and some not)
- Put filling in piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate with a tennis biscuit and some grated peppermint crisp chocolate :)
If you want to see what everyone else is baking just search the hashtag #NaturesFarmChallenge to find all the epic recipes. They are reposting them on their FB page as well if you’re feeling lazy :)