12 Aug Fact Friday – Wolves
Fysh might be pretty obsessed with unicorns but he has an even bigger love for wolves. Dogs in general, huskies above all breeds but wolves the best.
And as it turns out that despite being the notorious villain of fables and fairy stories for centuries they are high intelligent and sociable animals that have done rather little to warrant it’s vicious beast reputation.
Five Fabulous Facts :
- Wolves have about 200 million scent cells. Humans have only about 5 million. Wolves can smell other animals more than one mile (1.6 kilometers) away.
- Once a wolf has found a mate, they usually stay together for life.
- Wolves do not make good guard dogs because they are naturally afraid of the unfamiliar and will hide from visitors rather than bark at them.
- The Vikings wore wolf skins and drank wolf blood to take on the wolf’s spirit in battle. They also viewed real wolves as battle companions or hrægifr (corpse trolls).
- Wolves can swim distances of up to 13 kilometers aided by small webs between their toes.
They are so interesting that it was really hard to pick only 5 of the facts we found this time. Are there any facts we left out that are your favorite?